It's possible, but unconfirmed, that bards are more susceptible to the negative "Feeling Unrefined" buff from living in a kingdom with low value in Culture.
Bards carry lutes and are skilled at playing songs on them. There is a wide variety of songs available, some only being unlocked for experienced bards, but even a simple song tends to please other Sims. Performing well in public will earn the bard money, although they may not earn money for performances back-to-back; a "cooldown" period is enforced through a neutral buff.
The strings of lutes, especially cheap ones, are prone to breaking after (or sometimes during) performances. A broken lute can not be played, but any bard can restring their lute for a small amount of simoles.
Plays and PoemsEdit
Bards can write plays and poems at their writing desk. To pen new pieces, a bard needs have ideas to work with: themes. Bards collect themes by gathering inspiration from the world around them or by asking other Sims for inspiration directly. The locales and people bards turn to for inspiration influence the themes they get; musing in the graveyard is likely to inspire works based on "Sickness and Death" while asking a Wizard for material is likely to inspire thoughts about "Magic".
When a bard has collected the themes they want to work with, he or she must devote some time to writing down the text of the work. Besides themes, a play allows the Bard to choose the costumes of the players. Once written, poems can be recited out loud and plays can be performed on a stage, once actors and/or actresses have been hired. Plays may only be performed once, while poems can be recited ad nauseam.
- Be Inspired by 3 People (Easy)
- Finish Writing a Play [level 1 to 9 Bards] (Easy)
- Finish Writing a Legendary Play [level 10 Bards] (Medium)
- Gather Inspiration for 2 Hours (Easy)
- Pay Taxes (Easy)
- Perform a Lute Song (Easy)
- Perform a Poem (Easy)
- Practice Lute for 2 Hours (Easy)
- Write 2 Poems (Easy)
- Perform On Board the Ship [Pirates & Nobles] (Easy)
- Write a War Poem [War + Foreign Lands themes for Pirates, War + Kingdom and Royalty for Guildsmen], followed by Read Poem to a Pirate|Guildsman [Pirates & Nobles] (Medium)