Bards devote their lives to the arts and although the may may be poor, it's rich in personal fulfillment.The Bard is one of the ten classes of Hero Sims. A Bard is the cultural steward of the Kingdom: a playwright, poet, and musician rolled into one. The bard lives in the upper floor of the Tavern.
It's possible, but unconfirmed, that bards are more susceptible to the negative "Feeling Unrefined" buff from living in a kingdom with low value in Culture.
Bards carry Lutes and are skilled at playing songs on them. There is a wide variety of songs available, some only being unlocked for experienced bards, but even a simple song tends to please other Sims. Performing well in public will earn the bard money, although they earn less money for performances back-to-back; a "cooldown" period is enforced through a neutral buff.
The strings of lutes, especially cheap ones, are prone to breaking after (or sometimes during) performances. A broken lute can not be played, but any bard can restring their lute for a small amount of simoles. Lutes can be bought at the Village Shoppe, some available only when certain Aspects are high enough, or found through random events.
See - List of Lutes for more information, quality and images.
Plays and Poems
Bards can write plays and poems at their writing desk. To pen new pieces, a bard needs to have ideas, or themes, to work with. Bards collect themes by gathering inspiration from the world around them or by asking other Sims for inspiration directly. Besides themes, a play allows the Bard to choose the costumes of the players. Once written, poems can be recited out loud and plays can be performed on a stage, once actors and/or actresses have been hired. Plays may only be performed once, while poems can be recited an infinite amount of times.
Each type of poem or play requires a different amount of themes.
- Regular Poems require 2 themes.
- Comedic Plays require 3 themes.
- Epic Poems require 3 themes.
- Tragic Plays require 4 themes.
- Legendary Plays require 5 themes.
List of Themes
|Animals and Hunting||The Forest Path|
|Crime||The Judgement Zone, the Cave/Cemetery|
|Food and Drink||The Tavern|
|Foreign Lands||The Docks|
|Kingdom and Royalty||The Castle, the Monarch|
|Love||Anywhere, especially churches.|
|Magic||The Wizard, The Wizard's Tower|
|Money||The Merchant, The Market|
|Sickness and Death||The Physician, The Graveyard, The Judgement Zone|
|Sky and Stars||Anywhere outside, especially at night.|
|Sport||The Kingball Court|
|War||The Smithy, Sometimes from the Monarch, Spy Quarters|
|The Watcher||The Cathedral and Monastery, Jacoban and Peteran priests|
- Epic Poem- may be written using themes: Food and Drink, War, Kingdom and Royalty (writing an Epic Poem is an achievement worth 10 achievement points)
- Be Inspired by 3 People (Easy)
- Finish Writing a Play [level 1 to 9 Bards] (Easy)
- Gather Inspiration for 2 Hours (Easy)
- Pay Taxes (Easy)
- Perform a Lute Song (Easy)
- Perform a Poem (Easy)
- Practice Lute for 2 Hours (Easy)
- Write 2 Poems (Easy)
- Finish Writing a Legendary Play [level 10 Bards] (Medium)
- Perform On Board the Ship [Pirates & Nobles] (Easy)
- Write a War Poem [War + Foreign Lands themes for Pirates, War + Kingdom and Royalty for Guildsmen], followed by Read Poem to a Pirate|Guildsman [Pirates & Nobles] (Medium)